Mai 24, 2013
More and more people are seeing the damage caused by regressive taxes. Stagnant economies. Lost jobs. Sky-high youth unemployment. Deep cuts in public services. The result is a dramatic privatisation of services; associated corruption is often one of the major consequences which impacts public budgets, prices and tax policies.
It’s a world-wide trend. It requires a unified, coordinated response backed by positive solutions.
Join with PSI in the growing global campaign for tax justice:
- Sign the fair share commitment at the Global Alliance for Tax Justice and ask your member organisations to sign now as well.
- Read full details in PSI General Secretary Rosa Pavanelli's message to affiliates.
- Follow the PSI Public Finance Control and Anti-Corruption Strategies forum 13 June at the International Labour Conference in Geneva
- Work with PSI to co-organize a tax justice event in the third week of June, leading into 23 June 2013 World Public Services Day. Co-sponsor a public forum or a campaign strategy session on a specific tax justice issue (tax havens, anti-corruption, tax avoidance, Robin Hood Tax etc) in at least one country in different regions - Asia, Africa, MENA, North America, South America, Europe.
- Get involved with the European Tax Justice Week being organised by EPSU and allies in the third week of June, with a special Day of Action on 19 June. EPSU’s important new study shows the costs to national economies with the loss of tens of thousands of public tax collector jobs cut under the pretext of austerity.
- Join us in working with the International Consortium of Investigative Journalists (ICIJ) which is exposing millions of secretly-leaked tax haven records. Insights from former or current tax collection workers are very useful.
- If your union is already working on a tax justice campaign, tell us so we can connect and promote your activities.
- Share information with your members through your publications, websites and local meetings. PSI has prepared a list of Talking points.
- Seize media opportunities to emphasize the damage caused by unfair taxes, and to promote tax justice, and to press governments to act.
Please contact PSI in response to any of these points, and to find out more about how to get involved in the tax justice campaign now.