15 February 2016
Workers from PSI affiliate Tamilnadu Government Officials Union (TGOU) put together a list of 35 demands to the government; the hunger strike took place in Chennai on the 8th of February.
On the following day the government invited the union president, Bro. Shanmugarajan, and State office-bearers to discuss the demands. Six State Cabinet Ministers along with the Secretaries from the respectives Ministries started a first round of discussion. Talks are expected to continue this week.
Among the demands (a full list can be seen below) are the:
- continuance of the Pension scheme to the government employees along with;
- formation of State Pay Commission;
- filling up of vacant posts;
- graded pay for child care workers, midday meal workers, municipal & corporation workers;
- permanency for daily wage, part-time workers; and
- stopping contract system of health workers
In order to keep the pressure on the government, another section of union members has called for one more strike on the 16th of February.