The background brief of the PSI working group meeting on Safe and Effective Staffing for Health (SESH), that met on 11-12 May 2015 at UNISON in London, is now available for download in English, French and Spanish.
The purpose of the meeting is to bring together unions to exchange views on the range of safe staffing issues and the various means to achieve safe and effective staffing, as well as to propose policy options and approaches for PSI and its affiliates.
Here are the main points of the background brief:
- Setting the Scene
- The goal for safe and effective healthcare worker staffing: a working definition
- Safe and effective staffing and the overall PSI agenda for Health and Social Care services
- Interests, roles and responsibilities
- Trade unions are uniquely placed to make things happen
- Framing the agenda for health unions
Download the full background brief here (pdf):
English – French – Spanish
For more information on the PSI working group on Safe and Effective Staffing for Health (SESH) see:
Report of the SESH Working Group meeting
Nurse-to-patient ratios save lives!
- Beth Mohle, Queensland Nurses Union (Australia)
- Jane Alison Lawless, Consultant Expert, SESH (Presentation 1 - Presentation 2)
- Jane Ball, University of Southampton (UK)
- Kelly D. Trautner, American Federation of Teachers (USA)
- Odile Frank, Public Services International
- Peter Griffiths, University of Southampton (UK)
- Robert Bonner, Australian Nursing and Midwifery Federation (SA Branch, Australia)
- Liza Di Paolo Sandber, Swedish Municipal Workers Union (Sweden)
- Lisa Fitzpatrick, Australian Nursing and Midwifery Federation (Victoria Branch, Australia)
- Alison Leary, Independent health consultant and researcher (UK)